Thursday, November 13, 2008


As I was at lunch with my husband today, I became overwhelmed in thinking about and experiencing how God has blessed my family. Greg has 2 jobs -first blessing. I get to stay home full-time - next blessing. AND Greg is home during the day A LOT because of being able to work from home at his second job. Wow! Roof over our heads . . . that we love, cars that are paid off, money in our wallets, food in our pantry and fridge, clothes in our closets, family close by, church and friends. I am utterly humbled and know that we, I, do not deserve these things; none of them.

I have a friend who has struggled lately with not understanding why God blesses some and not others. Although it appears that way on the surface, I know that is not God's intention. His intention always is to draw us closer to Himself. I have to be ready to give up all of the above at the drop of a hat. God requires of His followers full surrender. If my house and everything in it burned down tonight, how would I handle it? Would my life seem to be at its end? Would I blame God? I must be ready to let it all go. But until then or unless that happens, I will praise Him and thank Him for the undeserved material blessings He's given me. I also will prepare myself by drawing closer to Him each day. And if it does happen, I pray that I will react in a way pleasing to Him.

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
1 John 2:15-17

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true! We had some life changing things happen this summer and I knew my kids were watching me. I had to show them that "stuff" comes and goes but that the love of God stands forever. We are trying to teach them to praise God in the "skinny" times as well as the "fat"!