Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Day of Rest


Today I had few obligations. Both kids had school (for at least half the day!). Greg was home (part of the time). And I was able to work on that never-leaving, always-looming cloud of to-dos following me around day after day. I of course did not finish the list, but at least I was able to take care of things I usually don't get to do, or feel I don't have time to do.
Thursdays have always been my big "day of rest" personally. At church, our Wednesday night activities are, . . . how shall I say . . . overwhelming, a bit chaotic, & full of kids running (literally) on sugar and bent-up steam. So Thursdays are my day of peace and recovery. And I thank the Lord that after my Wednesdays, He gives me restful Thursdays to recoup.
I pray my friends who head-up and join me in those activities also give in to their desire and need of rest on the following day. Sometimes, especially us moms, feel a bit guilty if we take the time to just sit and read or catch a TV show, or indulge a bit on our enjoyments that get pushed aside for all the demands on us. I will say this, though. There is no refreshing like the refreshment of time spent with the Savior. He is our Rock, our Redeemer, our Deliverer.
Nothing else can take its place, even though sometimes its nice to take a "brain-break." I am thankful for my ever-faithful Lord who knows just what I need, and when I need it.
"The Lord will give strength to His people;
The Lord will bless His People with peace."
Psalm 29:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. I get up early to have my quiet time with the Lord. It is the only time when everything is quiet around here to sit by myself and drink my coffee and read the Word. What refreshment! Thanks for sharing!