Friday, September 5, 2008

Thankful Thursdays

OK, it's technically not Thursday, but let's just pretend this week and then I'll get it right next week . . .


So, I had a wonderful incident happen to me today that I wanted to share. It has spurred me in deciding to do a spin-off of my brother-in-law's "My Friday" blog. I have decided to start "Thankful Thursdays." Here's my first. Time will only tell if this will last . . .

Today I was doing my usual errand runs with Wes who was patiently sitting in the back seat, excited to have his turn in Gracie's seat while she was away at school. As I was pulling into my bank's ATM, a friend called to tell me all about her meeting on IVF,which she and her husband will be journeying into in a couple of weeks. This has been a long road for them and being one who had also dealt with infertility I always try to give my undivided attention (of course while depositing a check, driving, and tuning the radio at my 3 year-old's demands).

We continued our conversation, I asking questions and very excited about the possiblilty of seeing twins in 9 months ;), as I pulled out and drove down the access road. As I approached the light, I heard a honking to my left, of course still on the phone. As I look over to see why someone could possibly be honking while coming to a stop, I see a young African-American man in an old beat-up car waving my debit card and receipt at me in his hands!

Oh my gosh! How totally stupid and embarrassed I felt. But how totally grateful I was and in awe of this "random act of kindness" by this total stranger at the same time! We turned the corner, pulled over, and as he handed me the card and paper he said with a slight accent, "I know what a pain in the --- this can be," with a big smile on his face. I thanked him over and over again, and felt I should do more although I knew he didn't expect nor want anything else. He was dressed professionally and it was the end of the lunch hour, so he probably was hurried to get back to work.

"Wow," I thought. "What a complete blessing. God really took care of me just now." And from hearing the only words he spoke to me, I knew he may have not been a Christian. Interesting that God can use even those who don't realize it, or even have a relationship with Him, to do His kingdom work. Not sure that's theologically or Biblically correct, but it's the first time the thought came to mind, at least in a way that made a point.

Since then after thinking about all the details of it, I have realized that man had to of deserted his reasons for being at the bank, and then rushed to watch and track me down. I'm sure he also was taken off course of his planned route back to wherever he was headed. So what caused him to do it? What causes those without faith (again, just an assumption, but still true of some we know of as fact) to do the things Jesus taught out of pure unselfishness, generosity, and kindness; things many Christians themselves have difficulty with day to day?

Whatever the reasons, I am thankful. To him - thank you for putting my needs above your own. Thank you for thinking of another and realizing the "pain in the ---" (his words remember!) it would have been if I hadn't received it back. And it definitely would have been! Thank you for taking time out of your hurried day to make someone else's life easier. Thank you for being a model for all people, everywhere, Christian or not, of what it actually looks like to be Christian.
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:18

No comments: