Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pops

Today I'm remembering my grandfather, Charles S. Carleton, Jr., whom my sister and I called "Pops" on the day of his birthday.

He lived a long, full life until the age of 94. I have a special connection with him because we shared the gift of art, he being an architect all of his professional life. And then in his last several years (starting in his 90s!!) he went to class and learned watercolor, painting several landscape scenes, but most thankfully a few of his great-grandchildren. One of Gracie hangs in her bathroom.

I also will remember his love for and being a teacher of God's Word in his church. And after he retired from teaching, I thought it was wonderful that he decided to go to a class of mixed ages, many younger, instead of where it would be comfortable with his own. He never gave in to the idea that age stopped growth and learning. I still fondly remember seeing him dance, in his wheelchair, to tunes from the piano at his retirement home the last year of his life.

And then there were the many wonderful and then difficult years with Reece, "Mimi" as we called her, his wife of 61 years, whom he lovingly and patiently gave constant care to starting in 1989 until she passed in 1999. Their's was a love commitment unmatched before and still yet to see. It still inspires me to this day.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night."

Psalm 1:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. What a man who lived fully and a great example to never stop learning and loving life, no matter the age.
I am glad I had the opportunity to know him even for a short time.