Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day

"The days are long, but the years are short."







Saw this quote in a magazine once and thought it captured the exact feeling of what I experience as a mother. This was especially true today as Gracie headed off to her first day of kindergarten.


Awh, man, was is hard to leave her in that room! Not because she was crying (as you can see!) or because I was worried about her in any way, but because my mothering nature to protect and nurture pushed its way through to the top like a seed poking its way out of soil.


Here was the prayer I wrote and prayed to our ever-faithful Lord this morning before I woke her for the day to come:


"I pray for a hedge of protection around her, Lord. I pray that what we have trained her in so far will sprout forth and that she will not depart from it. I pray that she is kind and compassionate to others, forgiving just as God in Christ forgave us. I pray she will be bold in her faith and with grace share the hope we have in Jesus.

I pray that "Your light (in her) would shine before men in such a way that they may see Your good works, and glorify (her) Father who is in heaven."


I realize this seems like a lot for a little kindergartener, but the goal and emotion in all this season of letting go has to do with a new phase in her life; not just kindergarten, but a season of schooling with things to face and overcome that she has not yet had to do up until now (or me!). From here until graduation. It is our job as her parents entrusted by the Lord to continue in her training at home continually so that she will know how to respond to life's ups and downs as Jesus would.

The events and thoughts of the day itself:

What a blessing. The Lord really prepared all of us and gave us a marvelous day. Greg was able to get off from work - praise the Lord! For me personally, that was my biggest secret prayer. I wanted him to experience this day with Gracie and with me. She was somewhat unmoved emotionally all morning - until she walked into her classroom. Then she literally came to life! She was so excited that she could hardly stand it! I think she was glad we were there to share it with her, but at the same time, she was ready for us to leave so she could move on with her day!

The rest I will share in pictures:


Her favorite chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast . . . then on our way to school!


Into the classroom we go . . . Mrs. Spath, her teacher . . . her class!


Greg, Wes and I stopped by the "Boo-Hoo" breakfast. Then on to Starbucks for a little recoup and talk time. Wes waiting for his Sissy!


And they're done! The ever-popular chocolate chip cookie after-school snack!


Here's her post-school interview:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL!! Bittersweet moments and more to come for sure!
Love the blog page by the way!!

Mandi said...

I thought about you guys this morning (and all day) and said a prayer for you that today would be wonderful. I love the pictures, and I hope Gracie has a great school year!