Monday, August 11, 2008

Summer Wind Down - School is Coming!

Our August has been slow, so I haven't had much of anything to post, so I figured I'd just type up some thoughts about summer's end, which means a new school year beginning.

For me, this is a whole new territory, a whole new life I'll be living. My baby is going to kindergarten. I told someone not too long ago that my life seems to proceed in phases of 5 years. Greg and I were married for 5 years before Gracie came along, we lived in our first bought home for about 5 years, and I worked part-time at my church in an After-School program for 5 yeaers until I felt the Lord leading me to stay home full-time as Gracie sets off for school.

Lots of emotions and thoughts have been passing through my mind this last week as we count down to only 2 full weeks left of summer break. First, being the anal perfectionist that I am (hehe), I am frightened that I will miss an important tradition, a special opportunity, or a simple tip as we prepare and ready for this all-important, never-will-forget first day of kindergarten of my first child. So, anyone reading this who does this school preparation thing every year and has some tips, tricks, and special traditions, please email me!

Second, as I was reading my devotional today (The Ministry of Motherhood - I highly recommend this one!), another emotion fell on me like a down-pour of heavy rain. My influence on her is changing, it's going to be limited. Now I realize it is my choice how much influence I have on her. I realize her dad and I will still be the most important people in her life, no matter what she says as time passes, but the thought of our time together shifting from all day and night to mostly night can be a scary thought, especially when sending her to public school.

Granted, it is a wonderful school, highly "rated" with rave reviews of the principal, but I will now have to deal with the constant battle of having to say, "yes, but we believe . . . " It's an exciting challenge, and one Greg and I prayed very thoroughly about. But also one which is very daunting in this day and age. But it will certainly prepare her for the world she will face upon graduating, so with that I am thankful. And so . . . , I put on my battle clothes, the "armor of God" because I know He wishes to use our family in great and mighty ways if we only are willing and stay constantly prepared for what He puts in our path.

No comments: