Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Kissing Hand

Twas the night before school . . . and all through the house, all the kids were stirring because they were so excited about a new school year!
So it didn't rhyme, whatever! Anyway, We were FINALLY able to slow our weekend down about 5:00 p.m. this evening to enjoy a little peace before gearing up for a new year of first grade for Gracie tomorrow. . . . And in September it will be Wes going into Pre-K!

We read The Kissing Hand together before bedtime. I guess that will also be our tradition. Although I wonder how long that will last with her . . .maybe 4th grade? 3rd? We'll see, maybe she'll always want it read to her! A mom can dream, can't she?! Thankfully Greg read it because I always cry - of course! I have already been emotional for about a week . . . at first not really understanding why until "Meet the Teacher" crept up. ugh.

Us moms always start remembering the times they were a baby during this time of year. As I was holding her tightly as we were giving goodnight hugs & kisses, I was looking around the room remembering that just 5 years ago this month we moved into this house and this was her playroom. Wes was still being knit in my womb and she was toddling about, quietly reading books or listening to JoJo's Circus on CD. We would spend every morning snuggled up on the couch, sippy cup in hand watching JoJo and Goliath. I remember mourning that as my due date for Wes approached. I knew it would disappear quickly with a new baby in the house; and it did.

So now I have to stop myself from all the crazy busyness of life that we each think are so necessary and realize that just as quickly as those baby days have passed, so will these days of school. Especially these days of elementary school when she WANTS and PLEADS for me to spend time with her every second. Someday, some day she will want more time with friends, or in her room alone, or needing to do homework, or on her phone . . . ugh.

But I hope to instill some traditions and an openness in our relationship that even when she's at the age of "Mom, you're so stupid!" that we'll have just as many times of togetherness. It will be different. But as she grows, it will be even more important that we have them. Teaching her what it's like to grow into a godly, Christ-following young woman. It's a delicate process. A process I must prepare myself for now. To be waiting. Watching. Looking for opportunities as she grows to share thoughts without giving advice or demands; or creating any level of unnecessary expectations.

One thing is all that matters. Well, two. And if all she hears, if all she follows are these words from Jesus, then I need not worry,

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your mind, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.' And the second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Mark 12:30

Oh, my Gracie-girl. I love you so much. You are strong. You are smart. You are loving - when you want to be. :) And you are hilarious! I love, love, love you! I AM so proud of you! XXOO

No comments: