Saturday, August 29, 2009

Waste Not or Want Not

I have always been a simpleton. Less is more. Used is better. I go to the nearest resale shop first when looking for things - anything! I told Greg when we were camping that I could just stay there and live that life. You think I'm kidding myself, but it's absolutely true. Do we really NEED all this stuff??

But I love stuff, don't you? I love shopping at junky antique shops. Something you find there was pulled out of a back alley or old farm house and wham - 50 bucks!

Last year we were making twice what we are now. The year before that it was about 3-4 times as much. I can honestly relate to the apostle Paul when he says in Philippians 4:11-12, "for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am in. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity." Now, I haven't yet experienced as humble as Paul or probably as prosperous as Paul, but on a smaller scale I have. And the thing is, through it, I also know what 1 Thess. 5:18 is talking about - "be thankful in all circumstances" because I am so thankful for both sides, especially the side we're on now of not having as much, of stretching every dollar we get, of seeing our savings disappear before our eyes. BUT (there's that "Holy But" some of you have heard me talk about - I would love to share if you haven't), He prepared us for this time in several ways, and in the exact order needed.

First, Dave Ramsey. That's all that really needs to be said. If you have not read The Total Money Makeover by him, it is a must read for all Americans, all spenders, and especially all credit-users. If we hadn't have read his book first and begin applying his principles, there's no telling what kind of mess we'd be in now. Well, we certainly would have a nicer house, more "toys," and fabulous cars, but we'd also have a tiny savings compared to now as well as payments that would have put us under later.

Next, Greg's second job as a "Right-of-Way" agent working for my cousin; better known as a "land man" in the oil and gas industry. Now there's an industry that makes money they don't know what to do with! We are so thankful for that time because we were able to pay off debt, stabilize our mortgage situation, get rid of a truck payment, pay cash for a car, and save like we've never saved before - and we have always been savers! And YES - I said cash for a car and YES it is possible and YES you can do it too and YES the car has run fine with ABSOLUTELY NO problems for almost 2 years. That's where one's faith and trust in the Lord to bring about change and stability in your finances come in. This is all within a matter of about 18 months.

And now we're actually making less than we ever have in our entire marriage. But the Lord directs our path and orders our steps. So that brings us to now. To wasting not. To learning that Americans are wasters. Sorry - it's true. There's still grace, but let's evaluate ourselves. Our situation has led to me having to re-evaluate myself. You don't mind spending money on better gifts for the kids' friends birthdays or on another pair of jeans at full price or on eating out 5 times a week when you won't notice it in the checking account. But when you will . . . you notice everything.

So what have I done? Here's my list. It may seem small to you, but when you're the one in the house who budgets the paycheck, pays the bills, goes to the grocery store, buys the gifts, pays for the sports and preschool, etc, etc, etc (and believe me, there's a LOT of etc.!), then nothing is too small to take into account. Here's a sampling:

* Not only have I started using the grocery ads and trying to only buy what's on sale, I also get coupons and use them to buy in bulk.

*My kids eat PB&J sandwiches everyday just about. I was getting onto my husband the other day as I was watching him make them each one and was appalled at how much of both the peanut butter and the jelly he was slathering on the bread! He didn't see the big deal. I'd refer him to the above paragraph listing my jobs. I know he'd agree. If he was the one making them everyday I'm pretty sure we'd be going through both 3 times as often.

* I have to buy Gracie a new wardrobe every time a new season hits and she's grown. I always, and always have, hit the resale stores first. And I NEVER buy full price of anything - EVER. Someone is always having a sale. I spent $130 on her back-to-school clothes this year. Guess what I got? 2 pair of jeans, a couple of shirts and a pair of shoes? Nope; try 15 pants/skirts, 20 shirts, and 3 pair of hardly worn boots. Is it really that important that your child be the cutest dressed in the latest styles? I'm sorry, I think the question is more, is it more important that your child have on brand names? Is it worth taking money away from family vacations, your church, or being able to give a struggling single mom a gift card? . . . Really?

Oh, and by the way, that $130 also included a shirt and pair of jeans for Mommy. :) (Old Navy and American Eagle, if you must know.)

*Is there really nothing in your pantry or fridge for dinner? Nothing? Are we lazy or what? Are we gluttons or what? Vegetable night. Beans & rice night. Breakfast for dinner night. All-the-leftovers-put-together night. Every-man-for-himself night. I-had-a-big-lunch-so-I-don't-need-much night. Be creative! And STOP GOING OUT TO EAT ALL THE TIME! (I'm talking to myself here. ;} ) You'd be lucky to eat one meal a day in some parts of the world.

There are probably many more I could list, but those are what come to mind. This year - it's a smaller Christmas. We can get Wes a goldfish and Gracie a rabbit and probably spend under $10 for the animals and the stuff! AND we'd be the coolest parents ever! Cheaper, but not cheaper-looking birthday gifts for the kids' friends. Continuing the grocery ads, continuing the grocery coupons, continuing the resale shopping . . .

Please send other ideas my way! I'm looking to create some inexpensive, easy-to-make Christmas gifts - any ideas?

Less is more.

Who's with me?

3 comments:

K.Law said...

I love your post. It has been on my heart so much and actually why I started making aprons last summer. Thomas had a major pay cut and I wanted to still be able to gift others without spending much. I learned I could make a cute little girls apron and matching doll apron for only about $3. They were a hit and then I began making adult lady aprons and have even made some camo aprons for the guys in the kitchen. It was fun and the Lord brought to me a craft I didn't even know I had in me.
We never eat out and we do almost the same things you do with our food habits. Even my kids get into the grocery shopping to have a sense of how much money it takes out there.
Thanks for your post!!

Robin Cunningham said...

Your welcome! I really got onto my soapbox on that one. We still do eat out, but certainly not like we used to. It does get habitual; but so does cooking. We just live in a culture that supports eating out more than cooking at home, so it's kind of a battle.

I'm still praying about Christmas gifts, but I do know of one I'm giving to just about everyone, so at least buying it in bulk will help. ;)

Mandi said...

Robin - I just want you to know what an encourager you are to me. Thank you for being an amazing example of a Christian wife, mom, daughter, sister, woman, and friend.